The mission of Northwest Youth Theatre is to educate and enrich the lives of young people by providing meaningful opportunities for them to explore the performing arts.
. . Children’s Theatre is a great educational feature. The time ought to come when a child’s theatre will be a part of every public school in the land.
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)
Why Choose NYT?
Your family has many choices of after-school activities. We believe there are several great reasons to choose NYT:
- All children are welcome, regardless of prior experience.
- The performing arts build self-confidence.
- Students practice teamwork through the rehearsal process.
- Creativity and communication skills increase.
- Instructors use positive methods of teaching.
- Every child has a special part in our performances – everyone is a “star” – not just one or two.
- Best of all – It’s Fun!
Northwest Youth Theatre is an Oregon Not-for-Profit 501(c)3 Corporation. Its purpose is to provide education and experience in the performing arts to children regardless of their past experience or training. It was founded by Lois Lents in Portland, OR in 1995, and offers youth a variety of performing opportunities, through after school and summer day camp programs for children from preschool through high school. NYT classes are filled without requiring students to audition — we believe that by working on performance skills and team-building activities in the rehearsal process, every group of young people can produce an excellent program. In addition, NYT policy is that no child will be denied access to our programs because of inability to pay. Contact us for information on tuition assistance.